Nine Hundred and Ninety-nine times out of a thousand
I would have cleared that stop sign.
This was the #999th.
It started with dog piss in the shower and continued to go south the rest of the morning. While unloading, I discovered that the battery was dead. The wind was light and forty five degrees off the runways. The plan was to launch into the intersection and turn down the runway. The wing was a little behind my turn and the outside tip steering line caught the top of the stop sign and popped the tip right off. I felt it and immediately aborted. I honestly think I could have hammered the throttle and launched only to find myself flying a badly compromised wing. The left side would have had very low pressure and who knows what would have happened. Anyway I aborted and the only damage was to wingtip and a couple of lines.
Elisabeth is months out and Paramotor City is 6 weeks, so it’s going to be awhile. Tonight I picked up a Paramania Revolution 36 for a decent price. It’s a couple of years old but very low hours.
I was worried that 1000 was going to be underwhelming … the wait is going to make it special.
Perfect morning, warm, clear, zero wind. The streets at Placida had just been repaved. I had a full tank of gas and a belly full of coffee.
The battery was dead and the mini charger couldn’t turn it over. So, I positioned the truck to jump and …. then…. discovered that the hard landing last flight broke loose a weld. Two strikes and time to call it a wrap.
This was a disappointing morning. Bad weather and having my bride home has made it difficult to get in any flights. Last night she worked late allowing me to hit the sack early. This morning I woke 15 minutes before the alarm, jumped out of bed and arrived at the field at first light. I was concerned that I might have left the key in the ignition but …. No, it’s all good. Cranked up the theme to True Detective, loaded the wing in my lap, taxied out to the launch zone and just as I arrived I heard/felt a crack. Damned if the nose wheel hadn’t collapsed! The last flight was normal with a normal landing. I’m not sure if it had been damaged for awhile or if it rotted from the inside or I banged it into the earth on landing and just didn’t notice.
I’m off to San Fran tomorrow and will just have to deal with it when I get home.
Note to self….. Take pump and full tool kit to field when you go to replace the wheel. It did seem to be coming up to full power and maybe the cable needs tightening.
It seems like ever since the troubles began it has affected my ability to focus. I have made one rookie mistake after another and while I have avoided hurting myself… it has been expensive.
This morning was another expensive and disapointing day.
I allowed my left brake line to catch the prop. It was a couple of seconds after I started the motor so I’m assuming that I had rolled the maching back too far after layout and the prop wash drew it in.. Listening to World PPG talking about trikes I remembered Jeff saying it was a good idea to give it some slack so the machine could get rolling before the wing started to inflate. Bob Armond’s position is to have no slack and I have seen other pilots actually build a wall and get into the machine with the wing holding the trike back with the prop wash. Possibly because of the huge cage and prop, slack lines might not be a good idea with the Falcon. During layout I made it a point to position the lines out and away. Something must have changed.
Anyway the wing was sucked into the machine and before it wound down I cut the wing in three places, severed the brake line and by some fluke popped a plug on the gas tank and doused a portion of the wing in in gas.
It sucks to be me this morning…
You must be logged in to post a comment.