|Notice the A line is pulled ahead of the rest of the rest|
For the last two weeks I’ve been experimenting with A Assists. The idea is to have the A lines uniformly pulled during inflation with an attachment just forward of the hang point loops. The line that hooks to the A Mallon is adjustable and can be released in flight.
So far I’m undecided, the wing comes up slower than if I’m the one controlling the A’s and unless I’m doing something wrong they don’t always come up as straight as advertised. One time it was because the assist line got snagged and another time the lines might have been uneven. Another thing I’m not to fond of is that unless they are detached on landing the wing is prone to inflate itself. This morning while I walked back to the truck to retrieve the wing bag, the wing inflated and built a nice little wall. One little puff and I think it would have launched itself. Yesterday it did! If there is any breeze at all I’m going to have to remember to release the tension on the A’s.
I like holding the A lines during inflation. It allows me to feel the wing and adjust with brakes or steering the trike. Using the Assists I can only monitor the wing by watching it. That may be better if my helmet doesn’t get in the way. On the next flight I’m going to pull the A’s out another 1/2 inch and see if it does n’t come up a little faster.
This morning there was a light breeze from the south I could see 4 balloons that had launched from the Gunbarrel area. It was perfect, I could fly into the wind and meet the balloons half way, and then, hopefully, they would come back to Vance Brand to land. The take-off was good and I passed through two layers of bumpy air, one at 300 ft. agl and another at 1600 ft. agl. The breeze changed direction at 300 ft and died completely above 1600. There was no way to know where the balloons would land. So… what I thought was going to be a headwind toward the balloons turned out to be a tail wind. When we met at about 2000agl I couldn’t tell what direction the air was moving. I did a few fly-bys and headed back.
At the field the wind had turned 180 degrees from when I launched and was picking up quickly. I should have guessed it from the bumps I encountered returning. Good Flight
Egil came out but didn’t fly due to a tear in his wing.
The wing started to fold up on takeoff but I was able to slow down taxi until it reenflated and stabilized.
Flew for just under an hour finishing with all three us us in the air. The new south taxi way is layed and is just perfect to practice touch and goes. Swoop pond is dry and also good but the surface is a bit soft.
|Risers out of balance causes right hand turn|
Despite being aware of keeping the trimmer cams above the hang point loops while setting up, the right side had somehow slipped down, hanging the trike from the hang point loop and the cam. This has happened to me before and a couple of times I was able to free the cam but for some reason perhaps the bad light and dark sunglasses I didn’t see the problem. It is not a good thing, the hang point loop isn’t designed to take a load and when the cam is caught below the steel ring it causes the risers to be off center by more than an inch. The wing will naturally cause a turn forcing me to used brakes and lose energy to maintain a straight line. Perhaps it happened when I was adjusting the wing or positioning the lines…. whatever the cause, I was having to use lots of left brake to fly straight and when it was time to land I was using a huge amount of brake on the left side to maintain. It is a small wing and needs speed to fly so I was a a distinct disadvantage, being forced warp the wing into an inefficient configuration to remain aloft. The Eden riser is different from the PowerPlay, it is more apt to do this and so I’m going to have to make it one of the last checks before starting the motor, expecially when I fly the Eden.