The last day of the Festival
was a blast! It seemed to take forever for the balloons to get off and I waited an additional ten minutes for the Eveready Bunny who should have been named the “never ready bunny”, but eventually it lifted off and Marv. (the safety officer) gave me the thumbs up. The wind was south west so I set up into the wind, pointing to the tree line. The plan worked…I inflated the wing and turned south to line up with the runway. As soon as I was in line, the wing looked good, I hammered the throttle and made a nice clean take off. When I got to the park entrance road I was about 100ft AGL…not great but enough to initiate a hard turn to the right. I did a climbing spiral for several hundred feet and took off to chase the balloons. I crossed Wadsworth and caught up with the pack by the two holding ponds at the south of Chatfield. Everyone except for one lone wolf was skimming the earth, probably trying to collect tags to win the competition. The lone wolf was hanging at about 2000 ft AGL. It was the event organizer and I saw him 45 minutes later heading back toward the port. I was amazed how he was able to come back when everyone else was miles downwind.
I took a few pictures and flew by the CSYC gang who had rafted up to watch the ascension. After 35 or so minutes I returned to the port and tried to land. I was told not to overfly the road so I had to come in from the north east and make a hard turn to final. The way that it slopes down was causing me to come in too high and so rather than land beyond the barrier I choose to set down north of the festival.
I rolled the buggy back to the festival and chatted with Matt and Jerry about meeting some morning to fly at Red Rocks. We said our goodbyes and then Kevin and his family met me at the Marina for a light wind sail.
192 was a morning flight Aug 20th. Chip was going to meet me but had some issue with his reserve and didn’t make it. I put more air in the tires and the buggy accelerated much better, it was rough and the landing was really rough but it helps to reduce the rolling resistance when the field is bumpy. I let the trimmers out and enjoyed the performance of the 28m Eden III. This time I practiced flying lower and after twice getting into bumps to the west at 6300ft went back to the field and areas east. The surprise if the day was broken line on the starboard top cage. I do not think it was a prop strike. The string just broke, maybe I weakened it when I was trying to thread another line to mount the strobe. This afternoon after work before the race I restrung it with 1000lb deep sea line. Much better than factory.
Simms….70 degrees….light breeze from ENE shifting to NE under light cloud cover
Marek had a hard time making up his mind and when he did decide to fly, he “tweaked his back on a very very long run out. I flew for awhile 15 -20 minutes and landed shortly after I saw Marek land. He was being chatted up by some guy that stopped to watch. Seemed like an OK guy ….Biker”.
After a few minutes of chat the wind had come down to almost nothing so I decided to go up again. The wing came up fine but the buggy was having a hard time getting started, I had to do a Fred Flintstone to get it started but I was too late the glider unloaded and did a frontal. I aborted but the wing came down nicely behind and from the pressure on the risers it felt evenly spread so I grabbed the “A”s” and relaunched without even getting out of my seat. Marek said it looked great. Next time I fly Simms I’ll add a little air to the tires and see if that helps the buggy get started
It was a beautiful flight! Just a few mild bumps to keep me honest.I don’t know why but I didn’t let the trimmers out for the whole flight. Looking back I wished I had because I was paying allot of attention to the way the glider didn’t want to turn into the wind. If I’d just thought about it I could have eased the trim and it would have been a nice sporty ride. But…it was slow and mushy and sometimes mushy is OK.
I spent the last 15 minutes doing touch and goes and flying low and slow. I think I circled the field 5 times before I decided to land. Once in awhile the conditions are right to go to the end of the field and float 2 or 3 feet above the earth all the way to the end.
I learned a good trick on landing. I came in cross the wind about 20 degrees and as soon as I touched down I turned into the wind and used brake to keep the wing turning with me. It will be handy when the LZ is not lined up perfectly for an into the wind approach.
I should have stayed up longer but there was a strong wing from the West. Even with the 26m wing it took 30 minutes to fly back to the LZ from the entrance to the park. I was hanging over the Welcome center for a long long time. Not as nice a flight as the last time I was here …but no complaints. When I got back I hit the head and got out the 28 meter wing. I liked the way it felt this morning. Practiced touch and goes and basically floated around.
The drive from Saint George to Monument was a little over 5 hours. I decided to let the GPS pick the fastest route which ended up taking me through Zion National Park. Beautiful drive and amazing terrain but on Sat in August it was a bit of a traffic jam. I made the mistake of stopping at a tourist Rock shop and buying gifts for the family and store. Very cool stuff but almost non of it came from the area. I’ve seen the same inventory in gift shops and mineral shops all over the world. Ah Well. I did need the petrified shark teeth for awards durning the Commodores Ball. I finally got thru the park and arrived at Gouldings Trading Post about 5:30pm. After making arrangements I drove down to the airstrip and pulled out a wing.
The wind was blowing so I kited for 70 minutes before it came down enough to attempt a launch. Sometimes the wing would come up and hang there like an obedient puppy and other times one side would collapse and the wing might or might not be recovered. So…
I launched and decided almost immediately that it was time to land. The wind was popping me up and down slewing me to the right so I continued the turn and set down almost right where I has started. The Google image (dark Blue Line) shows very clearly the track bouncing around. I might have been able to climb into smoother air but I had not sent up any test balloons because I didn’t think the Navajo would appreciate it…so I really didn’t know if the air was going to get better or worse at altitude.
That night, I had dinner in the Lodge and said hello to a group of Italian families. It made me smile to think it had just been two months earler that Vivi and her family were doing the same thing with us in Riminni.
I got into Saint George about 5pm and it was blowing like hell. I decided it wasn’t going to be flyable and got into the Motel routine. Sure as heck by the time I’d had something to eat and was crawling into the hot tub…the wind had come down the clouds had parted and it was beautiful calm air. I smiled got into the tub and enjoyed a Utah classic sunset.
The road work is complete so we were able to get started 30 minutes earlier. This time we flew from the old airstrip that had been taken over by the RC club. Mark and I flew together for about 45 minutes. We come from the same school of Flying because we kept in touch but kept our distance. The air was calm and except for the one time I flew thru my own prop wash there wasn’t a bump. I ranged in a rectangle about 5 miles by 3 miles checking out the edge of the city a river and alfalfa field. The air strip is supposed to be reactivated sometime in the next couple of years but I have a feeling that they will let us keep flying if Mark plays his cards right.
During the second flight I did several touch and goes and practiced my low and slow, using lots of power and brakes. Very nice morning….