Yesterday I psyched myself out and this afternoon I almost did it again. It was probably the right thing not flying yesterday… my head wasn’t in it … but today there was no excuse. It was a real effort go get myself moving but once started everything went smoothly.
It was 48 degrees at the field with a light North Easterly breeze. The first launch was quick but I noticed a pull to the right. My first thought was the cam buckle was under the Hang point loop but instead it was a serious root tangle just right of center. The brake lines had been twisted together near the wing and there was a obvious pucker where those three lines attached near the trailing edge. The air was a bit switchy and the wing was dancing overhead so I turned back and landed on spot.
The second launch was good. The wing came up high to the right but it centered and I taxied another 40 feet before adding power for liftoff. The weeds here are nasty, it is easy for a line to get under the base of the plant and it takes a hell of a tug to break it loose. Usually a snag makes the wing come up crooked but on the first flight it pulled out a 6 inch root and really twisted up the brakes.
The air was still twitchy so I pretty much stayed near the patch and below 1000 feet. I practiced a wingovers for awhile and finished with a good hard spiral.
It wasn’t Epic … not even special but I’m glad I went.